[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

James Rice jrice at texoma.net
Tue Jul 16 21:35:14 CDT 2002

Jenn, my wife is like most of the users I support.  She doesn't care
what's in the box, what runs on the box, what chip is in the box.  It's
an appliance, it's supposed to run fast, do it's job and stay the hell
out of her way.  So, I keep her PeeCee upgraded and maintained, with her
particular set of app's loaded and leave her alone. If she's happy with
it, then we're both happy.  She can go off and work in her "pointy
clicky world" (I've got to remember that) and I can go off and take
something apart or  reinstall something.

I may be less of a geek than most on the list.  I really don't care what
OS a box runs.  I have found something I like about almost all of them
and a lot I don't like.  I support and maintain Micro$hit during the day
and go home to play with my Sgi, NeXT's and Mac's on my time.  I'm
having a blast running OS-X on my DaystarMP's.  I've tried almost every
different distribution of Linux out there, but I still do most of my
email and browsing on a XP1800 running Win2K.  It's stable,  it works,
it's fast and the hardware is cheap.

BTW, about reunions, my 30th HS reunion is next week.  I've been
deleting spam from the committee all month.  Out of about 450 grads,
there are probably only 4-5 that I'd like to see and they aren't going
either.  I went to my wife's 10th HS reunion a couple of years back and
the BS was flowing knee deep.

James