[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Tue Jul 16 17:20:30 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Jennifer Sharp wrote:

> I HAVE bought books and borrowed machines. It makes absolutely no sense to
> me at all to read it. The way I learn is to have someone show and explain it
> to me at the same time then let me experiment with it and be around to
> answer my questions. I just cannot grok learning from a book only. The books
> I have aquired on UNIX make no sense to me yet when I try to find the
> simpler stuff it's all about windoze. I have UNIX for Dummies. How much
> lower can I go?

Unix for Dummies is a good book if you bother reading it. Beyond that,
just grab a cd and pop it in and install. It's not hard, hell I can
install Solaris in Chinese with my eyes shut (seriously).

Just grab a free machine and learn on your own, 'cause you can't really
show someone how to use *nix. There's too much there. All you really need
to do is memorize some basic commands and the rest just comes along and
bites you in the ass as necessary...

--a