[geeks] 1U project cases

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jul 16 11:02:52 CDT 2002

On July 16, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Anyone know of a good place to find 1U cases for electronics projects?
> I want to build myself a knock off (with modifications) of the Ibanez
> UE-300, and one of the modifications is that I want to make it rack
> mounted with a remote set of foot pedels.  I'm also considering
> placing 2 tube screamers in the unit instead of 1 (so that I can
> preset two distortions, one for rhythm, and one for taking the leads).

  Either Mouser or Jameco should have decent ones affordably.  If not,
check DigiKey or Future.  Also, you can get ANYTHING YOU WANT from
Newark Electronics, but expect to pay $100-125 for the chassis.

  http://www.mouser.com/
  http://www.jameco.com/
  http://www.digikey.com/
  http://www.future-active.com/
  http://www.newark.com/

  All have online ordering and are great to deal with.

> I'm actually getting fairly serious about this.  I was digging around
> last night to pull up what pieces I had, and I've been working on
> putting together a parts list and trying to find the best place to
> order them, and doodling around at laying out the board design.  I'm
> just going to use a set of radio shack project boards, the ones with
> lines on them like:

  RS' prototyping boards are actually quite decent, I've used a lot of
them.

       -Dave