[geeks] Tektronix TDS 220

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jul 15 14:43:39 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, July 15, 2002 at 12:53:02 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Tektronix TDS 220
>
> What do people think of these scopes?  I know the brand is well
> reguarded.   I liked it when I use it.
>
> They cost quite a pretty penny, even used though.  Does Tektronix have
> any good models that are digital and dual trace, but perhaps a lesser
> Mhz?  I'm mainly interested in something more appropriate for audio
> work, which I'd imagine means that even 1Mhz is more than is strictly
> needed, but I wouldn't object to being able to use it for small
> digital electronics projects.

Do you really need a newer scope?

I recently picked up a good old HP 141B (storage scope) with a 4-trace
(1404A) module and of course a 1421A timebase and delay generator at a
fleamarket for $100[CAD].  I think it was a good deal, especially given
that it still seems to work very well.  I do need to find a 1402A
dual-trace module for it since working with the 4-trace is painful
unless you really do have two or more signals to compare.

This unit will effectively replace my old tube-type Tek scopes which
were mostly dead or dying (an old 561A that's got no HV any more, and an
old 564 and 310A that both have very cranky HV, with various modules for
the 560 series including a pair of 4-trace amps)

I wouldn't mind having a >200MHz scope, and colour digital storage scope
would be a real dream, eg. a TDS5104/XL, but I don't really need either!  ;-)

What I really need now is a good low-end used function generator,
preferably with a built-in counter.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>