[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 15 11:31:34 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:14:32AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 12:06:35PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I do it all the time with a CD-ROM.  I quickly flush the bus, then
> > disconnect.  I just have to have it connected when I boot the machine
> > for it to work (at least on non-linux machines, probably because I
> > just don't know the right command).  While I won't argue about it too
> > hard, I fail to see why a CD-RW would be different.
>
> Yes, but was it *designed* to be hot-swappable?

Err, I believe that we've already established in the past on geeks or
rescue that this was originally intended.  Yes, some searching through
the rescue archives finds that I started that discussion based on info
take from the scsifaq.  Now pulling that up...  Well, darn it.
scsifaq.org isn't working for me (they run the server on a high port,
and the work firewall blocks those).  I think that is what I was
refering to by scsifaq.

So, I can't specifically say it was designed to do that.  But, who
cares whether a device is designed to do something versus so well
designed that it just does things when asked to that the original
creatores didn't think of?  All you have to do to swap scsi is flush
the chain then disconnect the data before the power.  I'm sure the
same applies to firewire except that the data and power run in the
same cable and the plug is designed so that data disconnects first
(like SCA)

--
Joshua D. Boyd