[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 15 11:04:36 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:01:59AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:50:00AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Really, I always thought it was pathetic for such a problem to exist
> > in the first place.  If a glitch causes a performance drop, then why
> > not just resend that frame rather than drop it?  But no, they had to
> > act like it was real video rather than just a data stream fron another
> > digital device.
>
> Because its streaming (non-stoppable) from the camera.  If you miss a frame,
> resend (from buffer, possibly), you're already behind...
>
> A DV camera in "play" mode is not exactly random-access data..
> Bill

Then that is a design flaw.  There should be a copy mode.  I get that
capturing a live feed it isn't random access.  Besides, this is frame
accurate, is it not?  Why not write software to go back and recapture
the dropped frames...  That might not be a bad idea at all actually.
I wish I had the gear to test it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd