[geeks] digicam envy

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Jul 15 09:27:05 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:00:34 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> BTW, what has firewire been used for?  CD-Roms and harddrives via
> Firewire<->IDE adapters (and supposedly firewire<->scsi adapters, but
> I've never seen one myself).  Video cameras of various sorts.  And, I
> saw one audio console that would connect via firewire to a PC.  What
> else though?  USB2.0 seems to be getting better and wider support, and
> is supposed to be about the same speed.  There is supposed to be a
> faster firewire coming, but for how little I see it being used, I'm
> not sure there will be demand for it.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

I have a cousin who does professional audio, and a while ago he said
there was a lot of noise from the pro audio companies about firewire
studio equipment, basically everything between the mixing board and the
master media connected via firewire.  Since a lot of the big studio
boards have already been replaced by black boxes with PCs hooked to them
it seems a logical progression. I don't know how much of that has really
made it into the studio though.

The performance guys (concert and live stuff) have really resisted
computerization, because the studio approach has been either virtual
controls via monitor and mouse, or a small set of mechanical controls
which you page across all the virtual channels, and the live guys don't
want to give up their hundreds of knobs and the response time they
allow.

Apparently now for road gigs a lot of the big groups have all the
equipment up front with the speakers and amp racks, and have ethernet
back to a full mixing console.  That has to be weird for the old guys,
who are used to gazillions of wires snaked back to the mix station, now
they just have a couple little wires.

Tim