[geeks] Yet more silly OS X questions from a newbie

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Jul 15 06:10:44 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 03:25:56AM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> OK, is the desktop real X? Like can I compile and run X apps?

No, it's Quartz, which is some nasty proprietary rubbish.  You can run an X
server over the top of it though, allowing you to run X apps and partake of
X's networky goodness.

Said networky goodness doesn't apply to "native" apps though, which sucks.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   "There seems to be something wrong with our ships today"
     -- Rear-admiral Sir David Beatty, on seeing the Queen Mary
        and the Indefatigable destroyed at the Battle of Jutland