[geeks] Ebay break

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jul 14 22:22:21 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 10:49:31PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On July 14, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I just got a bunch of VCDs I ordered, and they were all burned
> > copies.  Sigh.  If I wanted burned copies, I would have gotten a
> > friend to make them.  I wanted the real thing.  Besides, selling
> > burned copies on ebay is against the rules (not to mention generally
> > illegal).
>
>   Umm, isn't the point the *contents* of the VCDs, or was this a
> posterity thing?

Posterity thing.  Gives me a better standing when it comes to arguing
the need for mod chips to play import stuff (instead of just for
copying it).  And, lets not forget general paranoia of people cracking
down on small time copiers (which I still think throwing the book at a
significant number of small fry would scare people more than
occasional big copiers being taken down).  And presumably money spent
would be filtering back to the artists.  That's always important.

And, as I said, if I just wanted the contents, a friend has the
complete set and would have copied them for me for free instead of
charging me half the retail price to do it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd