[geeks] Menuet

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Fri Jul 12 16:19:30 CDT 2002

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 03:24:14PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
>> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>>
>> >But darn the programming model looks sweet.  I wish I could find
>> >something similar for either Sun4 or Openboot PPC.
>>
>> What are the experimental alternatives for Sparcs? Amoeba,
>> anything else?

>Do you count Plan9?

Ah, yes. I personally haven't tried Plan 9, even though many
bits look very cool, simply because the lack of terminal support
annoys me.

Can you use x-terminals with Plan 9?

>It seems that everybody is focus on either intel or non-user oriented
>stuff.  An Amoeba isn't exactly something that most people would sit
>down out and use as as workstation.

I'm mostly interested in server type stuff. I don't really use much
"desktop environment" software. My desktop is ultra-minimal. I could
switch back to 80x24 text terminal without much discomfort. The
main reason I sit in front of an x-terminal is for postscript hacking.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------------- Live each day like the Triffids are coming. -------------