[geeks] The DEA and warrant weirdness

Kirby Menzel kmenzel at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 10 16:32:25 CDT 2002

I know many of you are in the admin world just like me, so I'm looking for
some advice...

We (meaning me and $partners) were contacted the other day after
purchasing a competing web hosting company by the DEA.  They say they have
a warrant to gain access to one of our client's files on our (recently
purchased and moved) server.

Here are my questions:  What responsibility do I now have toward the
client?  How, from an admin and business-owner standpoint, do I keep
ourselves out of trouble while our client gets busted?  Are we in any way
liable?  Can the client sue us later for cooperating with the DEA?

If anyone out there has had some experience with something similar, please
enlighten me...  In the years of been doing this work, I've never had to
deal with a law enforcement agency (except as a client. :)

Thanks,

Kirb