[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Geek geek at geeksworld.net
Wed Jul 10 04:58:58 CDT 2002

Ok, as far as caffeine goes, I am not sure how much I can intake.
Caffeine does not seem to help me as it has others I know, and if this
is being helped by the amount of caffeine, I would hate to see me if I
did not consume a 2 liter a day.

If you were never told or treated as if you were worthless, feel lucky,
feel very lucky. That is how I was treated all my life by more people
then I can count.

I find the menial stuff hard because it is uninteresting, repetitive and
fruitless. I feel like a low class person going to a low class job and
getting nothing in return. At least working at the ball park last summer
I got to keep track of the ball clubs progress to the typical final
result, which was losing to a far worse team.

The problem when it comes to availability of hardware, at least in the
attempt to get a post secondary education last school year was not in
the availability of hardware to work on in class but the total lack of
availability to work on anything out of class. I had a P75 and was
trying to do work in Win 2K Pro and Server, with little non-lecture time
in class, and no time out of class to work on class hardware. There was
a day class in the day, and the school closed right after class. Student
Aid and the teacher did not feel it fair to make a computer a
requirement of the class, and the school felt it would be too expensive
to give or loan a computer for the duration.

Therefore, I was unable to get everything done in class that needed
doing, and the only resource out of class was text, which was contrary
to my best learning methods. Now that I have a computer able to run at
least Win 2K Pro, I am learning by leaps and bounds, but it does me
little good now, as I do not have the many thousands of dollars it would
require to get a licensed version of Win 2k Server, Advanced Server and
Data Center Server to learn on.

The educational and by collusion the financial system as setup between
that institution and the student aid office has more flaws and holes
then a block of Swiss cheese the size of Texas. I tried to get extra
funding after being told when I got there that they had decided not to
include a computer in the funding, for a computer and possibly a
tutor(do you have any idea how much a tutor costs for computer stuff?),
but after 5 months of the student aid office asking for more paperwork
and telling me to go have $2,000-$5,00 tests done(the maximum was 5 K
and the tests were reimbursable from that amount, go figure) I decided
it was best to cut and run because of the many other problems with the
course and instructor. When informed that it would take another 2 months
to get tests done, and have a decision made, and seeing as there was
only 3 months left in class time before work experience, I felt it
pointless to even try.

Perhaps someday, in 10 years after I pay off my student loans, I might
yet try again, but this experience has taught me one key point. It is
useless to rely on the wisdom and logic of others, especially
government, when trying to fulfill your dreams. It is better to wait,
save and do it yourself, and therefore only your wallet is on the line,
not your self respect from having to grovel.

As far as areas in computing, I have yet to find one or two areas that
really bring out the best of my abilities. The web is ok, but not nearly
as satisfying as I had hoped. Hardware is far too widespread(the good
hardware at least) and evolving too fast(PC) to capture my attention.
That is why I have tried to spread my areas of interest as far as I
have. Sadly, other then TV shows, Computers are the #1 thing in my life.
Pathetic I know. I just don't have any other interests.

Dwight Wallbridge,

Geek's World http://www.geeksworld.net
Geek Blog http://www.geekblog.net/