[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Geek geek at geeksworld.net
Wed Jul 10 03:47:09 CDT 2002

Another one.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 3:00 PM
Subject: RE: [geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

> 1st, you are young yet - you will learn what works for you soon.
God I hope so.
> 2nd, you don't have a learning disability, you learn differently.
Yes, I agree
> 3rd, you will have to find your own road, the ADD'er is too
exceptional for
> other peoples ideas of success.
Not sure I understand this one
> 4th, many of us were/are labeled stupid/retarded/challenged/etc. I was
> repeatedly sent to the "remedial" classes for things that I excelled
at. I
> even spent a year in a class that was for the totally impaired
(metally
> disabled, total psychos, etc.). The public educators are ill equiped
to deal
> with someone like us. In fact, I was stunned to learn that most
teachers are
> barely able to perform work at the level they teach.
I spent three years of Junior high before being diagnosed as ADD in such
a class. they such and I am certain they are meant to merely demean the
participants. Public educators are ill equipped to teach anyone but the
typical student who has set, clearly defined goals and career path that
is acceptable.
> 5th, the ADD'er can never be good, or even "acceptable - whatever that
is",
> at something they don't love. Find what you love.
I have, sadly I can't seem to accel at it.
> 6th, you need to learn about yourself first. Learn to harness your
strengths
> and overcome your weaknesses.
I will endeavour to find soem strengths, and to minimize my many visible
to myself weaknesses.
> On my personal/vanity web page (ok, they are so uncool, but I made
mine 7
> years ago and haven't changed it yet) says "my favorite Jamesism quote
is "I
> have always enjoyed learning, I have never enjoyed being taught" ".
That
> kinda sums up the experience. I have to touch/feel/break+fix/hug/smell
> something to learn about it (learn by doing). You should find what
works for
> you.
Your quote is excellent. I learnt web site design by looking, but failed
when trying to expand my knowledge to JavaScript, perl and many web
based languages when I try to learn form books. Sadly, I have been
unable to find the right mix.
> Smile! At least you found out early!! I was just "the fucked-up kid"
in
> school. The one who new all the answers but daydreamed/doodled all day
in
> class. The kid who spent more time at the cellar workbench than the
> ballpark. Knowing yourself is strength, it allows you to alter your
world to
> fit your needs so you can excel.
Thanks. I can at least rejoice in knowing that I was sever called 'the
fucked up kid' to my face, though I know several teachers and family
have called me that behind my back. Good hearing was never a curse.

Dwight Wallbridge,

Geek's World http://www.geeksworld.net
Geek Blog http://www.geekblog.net/