[geeks] Quick graphs

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 9 11:16:35 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:41:32PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> do it in postscript.
> example:
> 	0 0 moveto
> 	20.0 150.0 lineto
> 	40.0 120.0 lineto
> 	60.0 164.0 lineto
> 	80.0 60.0 lineto
> 	stroke
>
> 	/Helvetica findfont 18.0 scalefont setfont
>
> 	20.0 10.0 moveto (Line 1) show
> 	40.0 10.0 moveto (Line 2) show
> 	60.0 10.0 moveto (You get) show
> 	80.0 10.0 moveto (the idea.) show
>

> x y values are in points (1/72 of an inch). Text strings are
> in parenthesis.
>
> Make this the first line of the file:
>
> %!Adobe-PS-1.0
>
> and everything will recognize it as PS.
>
> Also, add this to the very end: (it basicly means "print the page now")
>
> showpage
>
> Postscript can be imported into Illistrator. (Ill. format *is* postscript,
> with a bunch of setting stuff hidden in comment fields.)

Well, I got it working to do simple graphs in .ps.  But now I'm at
work and Illustrator (and Corel Draw[1]) are at home.  So I either have
to do the rest of the graph in raw postscript, or I have to break down
and use Excel, or I have to wait to hand these graphs in until
Thursday.  Not sure which I'll pick.  I don't think I really have time
for the raw postscript, but this account does have ps2pdf on it, so if
I get bored at lunch I could poke at it.  But I have to fit a
box with one or two paragraphs into the page, and I don't really want
to try to paginate text by hand...

Probably a better idea to force myself to work on the genetics
problems to hand in tonight, then hand in the graphs thursday.

And I have even begun the writing assignments.  Where oh where did I
place those URLs...

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1]  My mac can download files from the network via netscape, if it
doesn't crash first (most crashing is related to javascript that it
doesn't understand).  But to get the files from the mac to the printer
involves exporting a .ps file, copying to msdos floppy, and carrying
to another computer.  Setting up netatalk is also on my list of things
to do since it will make getting real work done on the mac a lot easier.