[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 8 17:00:03 CDT 2002

~ I am and find I am neither exceptionally bright, nor do I have any
~ special aptitude for computers, the arts or science. I don't know why,
~ as I agree wholeheartedly that along with autism, ADD seems
~ to be found
~ in some exceptional people with high aptitudes in those areas, but I
~ think that that is not the rule, as there are many I know who
~ have next
~ to no aptitude, and in fact have a very hard time learning anything.
~
~
~ Dwight Wallbridge,

1st, you are young yet - you will learn what works for you soon.

2nd, you don't have a learning disability, you learn differently.

3rd, you will have to find your own road, the ADD'er is too exceptional for
other peoples ideas of success.

4th, many of us were/are labeled stupid/retarded/challenged/etc. I was
repeatedly sent to the "remedial" classes for things that I excelled at. I
even spent a year in a class that was for the totally impaired (metally
disabled, total psychos, etc.). The public educators are ill equiped to deal
with someone like us. In fact, I was stunned to learn that most teachers are
barely able to perform work at the level they teach.

5th, the ADD'er can never be good, or even "acceptable - whatever that is",
at something they don't love. Find what you love.

6th, you need to learn about yourself first. Learn to harness your strengths
and overcome your weaknesses.

On my personal/vanity web page (ok, they are so uncool, but I made mine 7
years ago and haven't changed it yet) says "my favorite Jamesism quote is "I
have always enjoyed learning, I have never enjoyed being taught" ". That
kinda sums up the experience. I have to touch/feel/break+fix/hug/smell
something to learn about it (learn by doing). You should find what works for
you.

Smile! At least you found out early!! I was just "the fucked-up kid" in
school. The one who new all the answers but daydreamed/doodled all day in
class. The kid who spent more time at the cellar workbench than the
ballpark. Knowing yourself is strength, it allows you to alter your world to
fit your needs so you can excell.