[geeks] 2 glibc's in separate directories

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 8 03:11:30 CDT 2002

I have a newly installed slackware system. Most of the stuff running
on it is from the packages in the form of precompiled binaries, etc.

Recently, I was trying to compile a few programs and I got this
error:

"/usr/i386-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory"

Since crt1.o was nowhere on the system and appeared to be part of glibc
I decided to install an additional glibc (from source) in a new path:
	(--prefix="/usr/glibc-2.2.5")

Now I have 2 glibc's of the same version. (see below)

/lib/libc.so.6
/usr/glibc-2.2.5/lib/libc.so.6

/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/glibc-2.2.5/lib/ld-linux.so.2

And here is the file I needed:

/usr/glibc-2.2.5/lib/crt1.o

My question is this, how do I compile other programs using the new
glibc? Which arguments do I use with "./configure"? Do I need
to set/reset any env variables like 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'?

I came across the following quote in the glibc FAQ. Unfortunately
the '--dynamic-linker' is not an item I can specify with the
program I am compiling.

"If you just want to test this release, don't put the lib directory in /etc/ld.so.conf. You
   can call programs directly with full paths (as above). When compiling new programs against
   glibc 2.1, you've got to specify the correct paths to the compiler (option -I with gcc)
   and linker (options --dynamic-linker, -L and --rpath)."

Any idea what to do? Is there another place to post this question if
no one here has a solution?

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL