[geeks] full-spectrum compact flourescents found

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jul 5 18:28:51 CDT 2002

Well, i went down to "The Lightbulb Store" on Lamar here in Austin
(duh!) and found full-spectrum compact flourescents.

I'd found a 75W equivalent (20W) compact flourescent bulb at Home
Depot for around $6 each, but it was *too* "blue" and not bright
enough (I need 100W here in the computer room).

Went down to the lightbulb store.  Walked in.  Guy was like "can i help ya?"

"Yeah, I need some daylight-spectrum compact flourescents, 100 watt
 equivalent"

"Right behind and to your left, third shelf down; they're full-spectrum".

He even pulled one out of the box and stuck it in a fixture there on
the counter to "demonstrate" against a couple other CFLs and a normal
incandescent.  "Feel free to pull anything out of a box and fire it up if
you need to look at it".

Got a couple of "TCP Springlamp" brand (www.tcpi.com) bulbs; 23W
(equivalent to 100W incandescent), 15,000 hour life, and they're
rated for 5100 Kelvin (normal incandescent builbs are rated for 2700
Kelvin).

So, no more GE Reveal bulbs - I'm going to gradually replace every normal
incandescent builb in the house with these over the next couple of months.

Only downside is the price - they're $17.99 each, but if you buy more than
one, the rest of them are half price (e.g., I bought one and got one for
half price, or I could buy one and get 20 more for half price, etc).

They've also got a "big daddy" 27W (150W equivalent) CFL that I'm going
to pick up for the garage, since i've only got one overhead bulb socket
in there.

I put one here in the computer room, and once it warmed up (CFLs take
about 5-10 minutes to reach full brightness, kinda a "burn in" period),
its great...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford