[geeks] 4th of july plans

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jul 3 14:21:18 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:39:44AM -0500, Amy wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, David Cantrell wrote:
> > I have a chance to rant at $boss in the morning, at which I shall be
> > demanding that he explain his fuckwitted decision to move the department
> > to $provincial_shithole_which_noone_wants_to_go_to.
> Gak. Does that mean you'll have to move out of the city?

Fat chance.  I expect to be gone by then.  If I am still with the BBC when
they move, it'll either be:
  temporarily cos I haven't yet found a better employer, or
  having been bribed :-)

My bribe of choice is that I work a four day week, with the same salary and
holiday entitlement.  For that, I'd put up with the two hour commute.  Or
maybe working six hours a day instead of eight.  Or them giving me an
obscene pay rise.

Well, one of those would make me at least consider the rest of their offer.

But no, no plans to move out of London.  I did look at moving to Oxford,
but property prices are too high.

> > On Friday, I have a tutored bourbon-tasting!
> You're going to Kentucky on Friday? ;)

Hehe, no, to a whisk(e)y dealer in St James's (that's the poshest of the
posh bits of London).  The devils are right next to my favourite source
of fine cigars, and a couple of months ago I wandered in, but didn't see
any Scotch to tempt me.  However, they did have some Bourbons I'd never
seen before.  So I thought "*some* boubon is bound to be drinkable, even
if all I've had so far is barely good enough to clean drains with" and
tried a couple.  I walked out with UKP75 less in my pocket, and had also
signed up for this tutored session.  I expect it will be a very expensive
evening :-)

If you're doing business with a religious son of a bitch, get it in writing.
His word isn't worth shit, not with the Good Lord telling him how to fuck you
on the deal   -- W.S.Burroughs, "Words of Advice for Young People"