[geeks] Pet Pictures and such

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Jul 3 00:51:20 CDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:
> http://catonic.net/pics/ <- mostly pictures of our various animals over
> the years; the beagle is cute and stupid all at once. Think about `Skrat'
> from `Ice Age' and you have it pegged.

71: Damn, didn't know the place had looked so much like the Nebuchadnezzar
    from The Matrix.
151: Our scruffy little Miniature Schnauzer, Pumpkin. Smart and funny dog.
     Since expired.
238: The beagle came after the schnauz was 10. The beagle became
     co-dependant, requiring a warm body by her side at all times.
563: CLOSE UP! I printed this one out and showed it to the dog. She ran
     away from it.
616: Sleeping...
617: And awake (the camera's cover woke her).
618: And she doesn't like the camera.
635: Beagle Meets Billy Bass
719: Not me, this is Lane, a former co-worker. We, along with one other
     fellow, started a small ISP. He has the office pet on his shoulder --
     `Dog', a ball python.
866: The beagle believes many things are hers. All she needs is to find
     one and she will make her bed there.
868: "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" -- Ogden
     Nash. This dog lives it.
885: Dog again.
986: This is another former co-worker, Chip, wearing Dog as a necklace.
     The snake did not mind.
989: Sunning.
993: Typical WalMart. The printer was the only thing on the top of the
     display.
994-997: She wasn't about to let go of the pizza. It was *hers*.
1054: Dog shows up how to bathe. The snake was getting ready to shed.
1186: Chip is an Army Reserve Blackhawk helicopter mechanic. This is his
      shirt. The OH-58 is a JetRanger.
1355: Drive to Dayton, OH from Alabama and you'll see this in Northern
      Kentucky just off of I75
1896: Meet `Gus', a short-lived puppy. She wouldn't listen to *anyone* and
      had a short attention span. 40 seconds was long.
1929: Gus fell into the `family' thing pretty quick, much to the dismay
      of the beagle. Terriers are known to be patient; our beagle is
      downright bitchy. She will not tolerate anything.
1939: We thought we had lost her. She found a nice bed for herself.

`Gus' wandered right in front of a SUV. The driver didn't even have time
to react. She came from around a bush and it was over in less than five
seconds, her neck crushed, and the driver greatly shook up.

The schnauzer, whom we dearly loved for almost 15 years, was struck by a
car one morning on her morning constitutional. The neighborhood had
changed a bit since Pumpkin had first known it; as her sight failed, she
followed her nose. She had a habit of stopping right where she was until
traffic moved around her. I guess someone didn't avoid her. (sniff)

'Twas better that way. We didn't have to make the decision to put her
down. Her kidneys were starting to fail and her teeth were very well worn.
She was also blind in both eyes because of cataracts (that's why she
stopped). As she grew older, she turned more and more grey -- you'd have
to look almost to see her. She was our first dog, smart, trained (not very
well ;-)... Taught us that Intelligence is truly a gift. The beagle...
that ignorance is bliss.

I once witnessed what I thought was my dog (the beagle)'s demise.. I
called her across the street since there was a car coming, but she didn't
move fast since she thought she was in trouble.. She got pretty close to
the front of the lady's compact car (~87 Corolla) and we both thought
she(lady)  had hit her (dog). The lady stopped, put on the emergency
brake, and her hand went to her head. Then she looks at me and I notice
that ShitHead (Little Bit is actually her (dog) name), who is afraid of
the world, walking around the back of the car to me. I start waving the
woman on and she just looks at me puzzled, wondering what the heck was
wrong with me... Then she saw the dog walking to me and you could tell she
was relieved. She let the brake go, and took off, slowly.

I never thought having a dog so afraid of everthing would be a good thing.
The beagle was actually out with the schnauzer when the schnauzer got hit.
I think this may have made an impression on the dog. She stays away from
moving cars.