[geeks] 4th of july plans

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Tue Jul 2 16:51:50 CDT 2002

kurt at csh.rit.edu writes:

>I usually get that at the netrek games we hold at RIT.

>My favorite memory was the other team pathetically trying to kill
>me in the base.

>"You call THAT an ogg?!?!?" =)

Y'all remember BSD "hunt", multiplayer kill each other, full-screen
ASCII game?

Ok, back in college, 1987 or so, VAX-11/750 with BSD4.3 with a
full source license, I was trying to figure out how to cheat at
hunt, as well as figure out how the inter-process stuff worked.

The system was secure (enough for our ignorance of holes) so I
couldn't screw with the installed binaries, but I *could* grab
a copy of the source to the daemon process of hunt, make some
modifications, compile it, and trick the standard clients into
attaching to my versions of the daemon.

So, standard hunt game going, about a half-dozen people in the
terminal room playing, no one realizes I've got my version of
the daemon running....

Someone across the room asks: "What's an 'N' bomb????"

*FOOOSH*

Half the "world" disappears.

Ha ha.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------