[geeks] Tru64 licensing/availability...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 2 14:38:57 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 02:21:56PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> TeNet still exists, but the shell account system vanished in early 1998,
> when they decided that affordable Internet access was available to Texas
> educators already.  Now it's just a web-portal with web-mail and junk.
> Sad.

Its also a cheap Internet backbone for companies doing work with UT.  I
used to work at Computational Mechanics, whose owner/founder/president/CEO
is a professor at UT.  Since Comco did a lot of work with/alongside UT and
the research campus, they got a cheap [1] T1 on the TheNet backbone. [2].

Unfortunately, they had to share the same big pipes out that UT had, with
the tons of UT students using them in the dorms and such as well. [2].

This was where sunhelp.org was first hosted, when I was their sysadmin.
They had two full /24s of address space, a Cisco router with two ethernet
interfaces, etc.. All of this for an office of about 15 people.  We also
had a Portmaster and a bank of modems for employee home dialup...

(okay, I'm having flashbacks to the good old days, time to stop..)

Bill

[1] I think it was something around $300/month for full unmetered T1 at
    one point.

[2] At times, a 128K dialup ISDN would have been faster.  Seriously.
    That much latency and packet loss.  In the summer was nice though...

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net
Austin, TX