[geeks] P2P filesharing thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 2 11:29:20 CDT 2002

Yet another post of thoughts/musings from me bacause I'm bored.

Has anyone thought of setting up a gnutella compatible (for Limewire,
morpheous, and all the other gnutella compatible clients) centerpoint
for members of the geeks list to link to?  You know howin LimeWire,
etc, there is a list of known servers that it connects to first, then
uses that to discover additional servers to connect to?  Well, if we
had an official geeks center point, then to my understanding if we all
added it to that list it would automatically crosslink the members of
this list.

With the addition of a good naming convention of some sort, this could
be a good way to turn this service into something that is usefull for
more than just trading mp3s and divxs.  Other things it would be
usefull for would be rom images (for upgrading suns), SunOS images,
precompiled binaries (like the latest windomaker for Solaris or bzFlag
for irix), etc.

Just some thoughts about trying to give a cool system more legal tasks
to do.

--
Joshua D. Boyd