[geeks] OT: FS, Metcal hot-air soldering iron

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Wed Jan 16 12:11:50 CST 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> I have the developer edition.  I'll have to check the recharge hack.  I
> quit using mine as it went through batteries like there's no tomorrow.

Do you know which kernel and romdisk you're using? There've been some
that do that and some that don't. There's a short list of things that
cause it, the latest and worst of which is a faulty at daemon, which
wakes the Agenda every hour and drains the batts at the rate of about a
set a day. It's all fixed now.

> I'm not on any of the mailing lists, so can you forward me the addresses
> to subscribe?

If you're not on the lists, you've probably missed out on all the
updates and cool schitt that's come across lately. There's a new kernel
and romdisk available from http://agendacomputing.de that has support
for connecting to the 'net through cellphones, either with a cable or
irDa, lots of networking support and tools, new handwriting reco, a mail
app, and generally good stuff. I unrolled it and like I said, removed
things I don't use and added things I do, stuck my ebook inside the
romdisk instead of userspace, rerolled it and boom! it's a custom
system, with everything I want. Much happiness.

If you'd like to do the same, let me know and I'll write up a quickie on
the topic. I showed a co-worker how in about a minute and a half this
morning. Also, for lots and lots of community support, check
http://agendawiki.com

> If I need Windows, I'll use my iPaq, but that's really just a

I sorta meant on the desktop - essentially folks who can't deal with
building their own Linux box and using it.

---sambo