[geeks] OSX is going to ruin my life

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Feb 28 21:55:32 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, David Cantrell wrote:

> On a G3-600 with 128Mb, OS X sucked.  With 512Mb, it became acceptable.
> I suspect that the slower processor will be noticeable, but that the
> biggest problem will be RAM.  IIRC those things maxed out at 384Mb.  That,
> combined with the slower processor, may make it chug horribly.

It depends on your point of view.  I use it every day on my G3/400
Blue&White.  It plods at a good clip :-).  I have 256MB RAM.  I'm going to
1GB as soon as I have a new job.  It's only quite slow when logging in.
If I stay logged in for a while, app relaunches are quite quick.

I had a HD pseudo-crash a few days ago... I spent the best $70 on a
classic program I've ever spent.  Disk Warrior... I highly recommend it.
Otherwise the only OS X problem I've had lately is that on startup
Clock.app quits unexpectedly 60% of the time.  I just restart it.  I think
it's the iTunes helper that does it.  I am just now ripping all of my CD's
into iTunes (prep for the someday iPod purchase).

Andrew J. Weiss