[geeks] OSX is going to ruin my life

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Thu Feb 28 16:18:04 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> The Mac IIfx was what killed Apple for me.  The platform was
> nice, but Apple lied about the SCSI in the IIfx being the
> fastest available.  The IIci SCSI was much faster.  They also

I disagree, the IIfx SCSI is faster.  If you like, I'll benchmark both of
them.

> never properly supported the serial ports, and the RAM used

This I agree with.  Since they had 6502's controlling the serial ports,
the IIFx could've been been so much more.  Not to mention the improved
ADB.

> in the IIfx was supposed to be the RAM used in the follow-ons,
> but Apple instead changed.  They also promised the follow-on
> would be a IIfx-style chassis so the IIfx would be upgradeable
> to the newer systems.  Instead, Apple went completely different,
> making the IIfx an evolutionary dead-end and waste of money.

I wouldn't go that far.  I've got one running now that is great w/7.5.5
and a 500M SCSI drive.

One of the differences you might see is if the IIfx had a 5.25" SCSI drive
in it while the IIci had a 3.5" - the 3.5" drives had faster access.

-P