[geeks] OSX is going to ruin my life

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Thu Feb 28 12:57:20 CST 2002

On 28 Feb 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Let's not get confused here...  The //e wasn't a Mac.  I actually liked
> those critters (though the //c was far kinder in terms of space used).
> Then they had umpteen years of Bad Macs, then they hit PPC, and started
> to suck less, eventually getting to the nice machines they've had for
> the past couple of years (save the iBook and original iMac).

Whoah there?  "Umpteen years of bad macs?"  Since when?  There have been
several crap macs (just like sun, they tend to go off and do weird things
once in a while), but there were some really good milestones:

-Mac Plus/SE: Compact macs that worked really, really well.
-Mac IIci: Lived damn near forever
-Mac IIfx: 40MHz CPU/Bus in 1990...
-Quadra 950: a true monster that could be both a server and a decent
workstation
-Quadra 840AV: Doing video that is still cool today (only surpassed by the
Amiga)
-Original Power Macs (NUBUS): Not only the first consumer RISC desktop,
but damn fast for the time.

Do you have something against 68K?  In a workd where 64K segements were
the norm, it was cool to have a flat address space...

-Pete