[geeks] comments welcome

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Feb 27 12:17:29 CST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > > Sugar isn't a stimulant.

> > Tell that to a 10-year-old.

> I'm not convinced that sugar isn't a stimulant.  Someone else said that
> to me, as I was bouncing off the walls after eating a Snickers.

> I don't eat sugar anyway - so perhaps the effects were amplified on
> me...

> However, I see a marked difference in my kids when they go to Nana's
> house and eat sugary stuff (they don't eat sugar either).

> I guess you'd have to show me some evidence to the contrary, because the
> physical evidence is overwhelming...

Sugar isn't a stimulant, it's the fuel the body runs on.  Raw sugar gets
almost immediately dumped into the body's blood system and it takes a while
for the endocrine system to catch up.

In the mean time, all your cells can go as full tilt as they want to.

So, it's not REALLY a stimulant, but the effects of large quantities
look like it.

Also, sugar dumps out of the blood stream (hello pancreas) a LOT quicker than
a stimulants effects where off.

--Kurt