[geeks] 'Add new hardware' in Linux?

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Tue Feb 26 19:02:58 CST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 18:10, you wrote:
> Hmm. An ass in every crowd. These are ISA cards, not PCI, and I was
> not expecting a windows like pop up saying it was installing drivers,
> but I have found no other way other then reboot to have new hardware
> recognized, which, what a shock, is why I was asking if there was a
> way to do a hardware check in the command line. Thanks for the 4 Kb
> of info I will never read.

Since you are running RedHat 6.2, we'll assume you are using a 2.2 kernel.
If that's the case, what type of ISA card is it? If it's a sound card, you
need to use the isapnptools to get things to work right. Your best bet might
be to upgrade to either a 2.4 kernel or upgrade to the latest RedHat. The 2.4
kernel handles ISA cards better than 2.2.

--andy.