[geeks] 'Add new hardware' in Linux?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Feb 26 07:25:27 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:33:16PM -0600, Geek wrote:

> Ok, I have tried for weeks, on and off, to get my Linux box to see
> changes in hardware.
<BOFH mode>
May it be possible that you have no clue about what you are doing
and how things are working in Linux? And you are calling yourself
a geek? Go and come back if you are grown up.
</BOFH mode>

> If I take out all but the video card, nothing is
> seen as changed.
This is no Wondozze that pops up "install driver bla" dialogs if
you pluged in new Hardware.

> When I add a half dozen NIC's and a sound card,
> nothing is seen as changed.
I like precise error descriptions like that.
So I think you have problems getting drivers loaded for PCI cards
you that puged in. Have a look at /proc/pci, the cards should be
there. If they are you should try to load the driver modules manually
using modprobe(8). What driver module is suitable for what card
can be read in /usr/src/linux/Documentation, the kernel source and
hardware HOWTOs. Sometimes you can guess the module name from the
card name / chipset name and the .o files that are below /lib/modules.
Verify that the modules are working. If you located the apropriate
modules, put them into /etc/modules.conf. There are man pages for
modules.conf(5) and the associated programms like depmod(8), modprobe(8),
insmod(8), lsmod(8). If you set up /etc/modules.conf the right way the
modules will be loaded automagicly if you try to access the hardware.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen

p.s. Yes. I have a very stange sense of humor and I am proud of it.
     MUUuaahahaha!