[geeks] comments welcome

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Feb 25 17:00:26 CST 2002

> "Ok, this is the way it's going to work. You're going to lay down that
> sword and step away from it, or we are going to shoot you, call the
> coroner, and send your family a bill for the ammo, the police officer's
> hourly rate, his supervisor's hourly rate, and the rate for all the other
> officers involved, equipment expended, and mileage + upkeep on the police
> cruisers and vehicles that got them here. You have *five* *minutes* to
> decide. We will let you know when five minutes has passed."

That's the way to handle things.

> I just think it's stupid to have a standoff with a guy carrying a sword.
> Unless he intends to use it. Shoot, you could just drive a cop car into
> him and have him stick the sword in the car (thereby trapping the sword)
> and then just get him. Typical police action -- let's get 20 cops involved
> in something that 3 could finish.

I think it's stupid when they have a police standoff with a
criminal threatening to kill themselves if the police come
any closer.  I think they should call the criminal's bluff.
If the criminal commits suicide, then the taxpayers save a
lot of money.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net