[geeks] I never thought

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 25 09:22:51 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:05:04AM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Excuse me? This doesn't seem right. He's compelling (forcing) you to pay
> for something? Isn't this against some rule somewhere?

Well, two things.  First, we could use the school copies, if we could bend our
schedules around when the machines are available (I can't).  Many professors
assume that not only are we going to be at class (reasonable), but also that
we are available at any time any place for other stuff they want (even if it
conflicts with other classes, let alone, heaven forbid, work).

Second, every professor compells you to buy books.  It just they are usually
kind enough to publish the list upfront so I can buy them all at once.

Oh, this was fun.  This semester I had a professor who was pissed that I bought
a used copy of the book.  Makes one wonder if he is getting kickbacks on new
sales of the book.

--
Joshua D. Boyd