[geeks] eBay international documentation and packaging fees

William S. wilby98 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 01:39:41 CST 2002

Well, I finally found an item I wanted on eBay. I decided _not_
to bid on it. Reasons:

1. initial price set by seller was too high: Okay, this
   is the option of the seller. This didn't really hold
   me back from the item at first.

2. international documentation fee: $15. Hmmm, so I pay
   more because I am in the Netherlands and the seller
   is in the USA and there is some extra paperwork.
   This to me is a little unfair. If you are opening
   yourself up to the international market you are expected
   to deal with paperwork at your own expense.

3. international packaging fee: $5 to cover packaging materials.
   Wow! I wonder what materials are used for international
   packaging vs. domestic. Better bubble wrap? This broke the camels
   back with me. It was not mentioned in the eBay posting but was
   added in feedback to me when I asked about some details.

4. Postage: I expect to pay postage. This is OK.

So, before I even paid for the item ( a DELQA ) opening bid set at
$24. I would pay an additional $20 for seller fees _plus_  postage.

This convinced me I can do without this item for a while
until someone on classiccmp or "geeks" find they do not need
one any more.

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL