[geeks] grr paypal

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Feb 23 15:45:20 CST 2002

On February 23, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > The trouble *I* have with Paypal is that it Just Doesn't Work.  They wanted
> > > me to fax them a copy of my credit card statement with their micro-deposit
> > > on it to authenticate myself.  Fair enough.  I blanked out all the other
> > > transactions and the balance, cos that's none of their business.  But no,
> > > they wanted the whole lot.  They ain't getting it.
> >
> >   Wow, that's pretty paranoid.  Sure, I agree that it's absolutely none
> > of their business, and I wish they didn't have these
> > requirements...but is the information in there REALLY that sensitive?
>
> It's a matter of principle.  I sent them all the information they *needed*,
> but they *wanted* to be able to see who else I'd been buying stuff from.
> They would have been able to make pretty good guesses at *what* I'd been
> buying too.
>
> If it's none of their business, why did they want it?  It is reasonable to
> believe that they had an ulterior motive, cos they certainly didn't have
> any good excuse when I asked them why.

  Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what you're saying...They
certainly don't need that information.  But, at least at the point I'm
at in MY life, matters of principle like this (ones that don't have a
real material effect on my life) get thrown out the window for the
huge convenience of being able to pay for an auction within five
minutes after it ends at 4AM.

  Now, for other matters of prinicple that DO have a material effect on
my life...like not using PeeCees...those principles are ones that I
stick to.  I don't want to give you the impression that I'm an
unprincipled person. ;)

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire