[geeks] Anti-html Letter

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 17:07:43 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 04:22:31PM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > > While I agree with your responce and often respond the same way I them end
> > > up having to explain to the clueless $LUSER why this is so.
> > I don't bother explaining.  If they won't just accept that I won't read
> > that crap then that's their problem.
> Well I dunno about that, if you smack somebody down for something like that
> and they politely ask why you should at least explain, heck, you may even
> spread a dose of clue at the same time :)

I have found that in the vast majority of cases explaining does no good.

When I smack them down though, I do tell them that I won't read HTML mail
because it's a pain in the arse and point them at something like
<http://unquietmind.com/email.html> which explains the silliness of HTML
mail and a whole bunch of other stuff in luser-friendly words of few
sylabbles.

If that is insufficient explanation, then they can go fuck themselves.
And no, I will not tell them how to send mail properly from their
$broken_program_du_jour.  I consider knowing how to operate your own
computer to be (one of) the barrier(s) to entry in my inbox.

   o/~ we wish you a merry currency and a happy new euro o/~