[geeks] Kids and computers...

Jon Still jon-pop at tertial.org
Wed Feb 20 09:10:28 CST 2002

Re: kids and computers...

A friend of mine is heavily involved in this:
http://www.livewires.org.uk/

 From the site: "LiveWires is an annual holiday run by Scripture Union
for 12 to 15 year olds"

Their aim seems to be to teach kids a whole variety of things and give
them some choice in what they do, generally in the areas of Computers,
Multimedia and Electronics.  The computer stuff consists of a variety of
programming tutorials and courses, starting at the "I've never
programmed before" level with a course in Python, through to graphics or
games programming.

The multimedia section consists of computer-based music (MIDI et al I
presume), TV/Video production  & editing and music recording/production.

The electronics stuff consists of a variety of projects from beginner
level stuff (Bike Alarm, Siren Sounder) right through to
microcontroller-based projects for the more advanced kids.

On the whole looks very useful - I know that I'd have been very
interested in going when I was that age.  I'd certainly come away
knowing something useful and possibly having produced something
practical.

J.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jrs at tertial.org
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/