[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 17:47:06 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:32:36PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > I love my Mac; I just wish they'd rewrite Terminal.app ...
> > Not to mention that it seems to take forever to load...
> hmmm... it just pops right up on any system I've seen it used on -- less
> than two seconds for sure, even right after a cold boot.

If it's already running, then yes, another pops open for me straight away.
But if I *quit* it, then start it up, it takes five seconds.  That's
unacceptable for something that damned well should be in memory already.

That's on a G4-450.

For comparison, my x86 box (P3-600) takes well under a second to launch
an xterm when that is also already in memory, and running X on X, the
G4-450 can start an xterm in about a second.

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.