[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 19 15:14:03 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Fogg, James wrote:

> Personaly, I'd pay cash for OS/X-i386. I have way more PC crap given to me
> than Mac (people love their Macs), and I think Crigley is right, both
> companies would benefit (though MS might not see it that way and pull their
> support for Office-X).

Remember Bill Gate's famous "I piss on NeXT."?
The MacBU is one of MS's biggest customers... the markets shall remain
separate.

Remember.... Apple has style... MS/Intel/etc. don't.  I think SJ would
sooner pee on Intel hardware than have it grace the lineup.  They
purposedly sh*tcanned both the version of OS X Server for Intel, and the
Yellowbox runtime which was designed to run OPENSTEP and OS X apps on top
of OPENSTEP NT/(later Yellowbox Windows)

> this mean that they are dangerously close to having an Office-for-Linux?
> That would have the potential to screw the MS Windows O/S platform nearly
> out of existance. Would it be possible to get Office-X running under Linux
> without the source code? How similar to X-windows is O/S-X's GUI?

As similar as brioche is to a cardboard box.  They are nothing alike.
Hence XonX... xonx.org, and Tenon's X server for OS X.  NeXT's windowing
system did allow X11-like remote display, however... but that is broken
now and for the forseeable future won't come back.

Andrew J. Weiss