[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 19 14:47:11 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020214.html
>
> Interestingly enough, I would like to see it as well.  Don't ask me why,
> I'm not sure myself.

I wouldn't.  It would gut Apple's hardware market.  This guy also is
counting on ARDI to provide middleware?... ARDI made Executor, which while
it was an impressive product, only emulated System 6.  So we have clunky
System 6 API's on a BSD system that looks kind of prettier than
FreeBSD..assuming Quartz was ported.  Useless.  In order for Intel OS X to
be viable, Classic and Carbon have to be ported, and then all developers
have to make sure the code runs ok on top of that... which then might give
them a unified code-base if Classic and Carbon can run on top of Windows
which just starts the whole NeXT gutting operation all over again.
Everything goes to crap.  Jobs has a market and he intends to exploit it.
Intel is not his market.  If anything Intel should be a second-class or
non-citizen as far as Apple goes... even with Solaris, Intel is a 2nd
class citizen... and it has helped keep Sun's hardware strong to a certain
degree.

Andrew J. Weiss