[geeks] Kids and Computers

Dave Kimmel criscokid at v-wave.com
Tue Feb 19 12:38:35 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, James L. Rice wrote:

> My kids get their own pc when they turn one.  I have some preschool
> keyboards (abcdef not qwerty) and I image the hd with ghost.  If it gets
> csrewed, I restore it.  I also tell them that if they touch mine (Sun,
> sgi, NeXT , BeBox, Mac or PC) I will break their little fingers off and
> feed them to the cat.  By the time my kids are 8-9 years old, they can
> reinstall the os themselves anyway.  My 9 yo daughter is on probation at
> school for "customizing" the pc's in the computer lab.  Once more and
> she is banned.

If I was a parent, that kind of thing would make me proud!  Of course, I'd
probably want to keep it a secret to avoid sending mixed signals.  "I'm
proud of you, but don't do it again" would be a tad bit confusing.  Maybe.

It kind of reminds me of some stuff I did in high school...  I was
exploring the Novell network one day, seeing how everything worked and
what everything did.  I sent a network message to one of the coordinators
once.  They tracked down who it was (I didn't try to hide my ID or
anything) and chewed me out.  Fortunately, one of the computer teachers
came to my defense.  The coordinator didn't give me anything more than a
chewing out though, since all I said was "Hi" - anything worse and I'm
sure I would have gotten it good though.

Ahh, those were the days.
-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid at v-wave.com
   ICQ: 5615049