[geeks] Hmmm.. food for thought...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Feb 19 11:33:32 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:59:26AM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Neato huh? :)
>
> Once upon a time, I heard that john carmack of id software wrote doom on a
> next station, later they moved (remote compiling) to an alpha and finally
> an SGI challenge.

Err, I believe he wrote quake initially on PA-Risc.  As far as I know, he has
only specifically said that he wrote it on Nextstep, but I don't think a
NeXT station would have had enough CPU power, and I know that id used to own
a few PA-Risc stations running Nextstep.

I think that Doom might have been on a next station though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd