[geeks] Kids and computers...

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Tue Feb 19 10:18:10 CST 2002

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> I'd be interested to see how those of you with kids handle the situation
> at your home.

My kids have their own computers. They know the stuff in the basement is
off-limits (my daughter ONCE discovered what Shift-Power does on my
SS20, and was grounded for a week. no touchee now), and that my wife's
is hers, not theirs.

Now, as a result of letting them have their own so-called computers
(P3/Windows - if I had the $$$, I'd buy 'em Macs, but alas...), they're
far ahead of their peers in that arena. My three-year old son downloads
and installs his own software. Last night I was sitting on the sofa in
the den playing with my Wallstreet, and he was on his peece, and he'd
dl'd and installed a new dinosaur game and yelled "type my name". I said
"No, you can do it". My wife yelled from the dining room "He can not.
Just go type it for him!" "Sure he can. Go ahead Nahi, you can do it".
So he did.

Frankly, he's a budding geek. It's quite obvious. My daughter, on the
other hand, isn't, and that's just as obvious. He'll sit there eight
hours a day if you let him. She'd as soon string beads.

When he's done... Start Button... Shut Down... OK... "Wait for it to say
'off'" he says, then turns off the monitor.

I'm so proud. If only it wasn't Windows.

---sambo