[geeks] observations and rants.

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Feb 17 18:15:27 CST 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> $MY_DAY_JOB had layoffs on November 29th; out of ~900 people here in Austin,

Ouch. Yeah, we had layoffs at the end of summer, and again in November,
if I recall correctly. It hurts. The job market's funny, though, and
while some are laying off, others are hiring. One fellow, when he was
laid off, left the office crying. I spoke with him the next day, and
he'd called a headhunter and found a job the same day (layoffs were
early in the AM) that paid $20K more.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the internet boom. Personally, I
perpetually expect to lose my job, no matter what the state of the
economy. Like I used to tell my dad... "as soon as they find out I
really have no clue...".

---sambo