[geeks] observations and rants.

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sun Feb 17 05:08:29 CST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On February 17, Amy wrote:
> > >   Nowhere is it written in stone that the world should be ruled by
> > > suits.  We ALLOW them to do this sort of shit.  Why doesn't anyone
> > > ever say "no"?
> >
> > cause they make sure to only hire those that will say 'yes' under
> > pressure.
>
>   I've been having a theoretical chat with Sridhar about this sort of
> shit for the past two hours.  I'm hoping that the Enron debacle gets
> bad enough for the general public to wake up and say "hey, what's
> going on here?"  ...because it's happening all over the
> country...granted, Enron is an extreme example, but make no
> mistake...they're just the only ones who got caught.
>
>   We work hard, create things, push the state of the art, develop
> technology...these suits rape companies, vote themselves raises, cheat
> us out of the stuff we build, and ensure that we can never challenge
> them...and THEY'RE the ones percieved to be "respectable" by society?
>   How can this be?

you've already got the answer. it's perception! big corporations
are generally run by a different generation, with a different generation's
code of respect/idea of proper. they don't respect/understand weirdness
or deviation from their comfortable normal. normal means a suit and tie,
cocktail parties, scotch and soda, mingling, putting up with fake
bullshit, buying shit to show off (airplanes, boats, cars, houses, wives)

normal doesnt mean living without furniture for two years or owning a mog.

sadly, even this generation's bosses are still playing this game in order
to further their ends, leaving the worker bees to still be shuffled under
the table. that's why most of you guys are still being laid off from once-cool
companies...someone just had to play the game by the others' rules in
order to profit (and in the meantime screwing the workers royally).

i always said that one day i would rule the roost by saying 'that's
insane, no way'. my father said while it would probably be successful
with the people, it wouldn't be popular with the government, the banks, or
anyone over the age of 40.

i've only met *one* business-owner that managed to split the difference
and not screw his employees/friends while running a business. one in 28
years. _not good_. (that's chad, the guy who owns onramp)

there is nothing that angers me more than when i think of the sheer hours
some or most of your guys work and then seeing what it reaps--more money
in the ceo's pocket and a pink slip for you. it should bloody well be
equal.

--a