[geeks] observations and rants.

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Feb 16 09:19:10 CST 2002

> It was as if everyone in the neighborhood had decided to go to the
> store at 10:30, hang out in electronics, and play rap music loudly on the
> stereos there.

Frightenly typical.  Theres a reason why "portable stereos" were called
"ghetto blasters" in the '80s.  Feel free to flame...

> Not only were the lines seven or eight people long, there were people
pushing,
> shoving, ranting at each other in various languages, and walking along
talking
> on their cellphones without watching where they were going, not caring or
> apologizing if they ran into someone.

This is why I don't go to WalMart, Ames, or any of the other stores that
cater to the "discount" crowd.

> 0.  Couples should not make out or kiss extensively in the middle of the
>     aisle going down the center of the store.

You geek!  you started with "0" :)
Run em over, or stand there and stare, providing commentary  - or perhaps a
play-by-play.

> 1.  I hate people who think the world owes them a living.

My wife and I have beat this one to death over our respective sisters
(actually, only one of mine, the other two have done good by the world).  I
*really* wish I could opt-out of Social Security - I hate it that *my* money
is supporting those that are too lazy or stupid to make their own.  I
totally disagree withteh entire idea of a Social Security system, talk about
a shaky foundation of fiscal mismanagement...  I better stop there.

> 2.  I hate people who cant bother to be polite to others.  I say "pardon
me"
>     and "excuse me", etc - have they stopped teaching this nowdays?
Whatever
>     happened to "sir" and "ma'am" and "miss" ?  I use them, and I'm only
27.
>     Surely the world hasnt gone to hell in a handbasket since '74.

This is one of my greatest pet peeves.  Whenever I walk past someone, in any
situation or circumstance, I make it a point to say "excuse me" or "pardon
me".  I could be 3 feet from that person, but if I'm obstructing their view
or path at all I beg pardon.  Yes, I realize this is the "military way" -
but I really feel that lack of respect (for others and one's self) is what
is creating such a wide seperation of sociotal groups - not money as some
would have you believe.

> 3.  Comparison between magazines at the checkout line:
>
> women's mags: "Sex tips he'll love!"  "how to do a makeover"
>               "lose 10 lbs in two weeks" "easy casserole in 10 minutes"
>
> men's mags: "HOT SLUTTY BITCHES WITH BIG TITS!"

Oh jeezuz...  I want to see technology, car, motorcycle, or outdoor mags at
the checkout.  Not every guy is interested in seeing some half naked woman
(or girl) on the fron of Cosmo.  I *certainly* don't need to see pr0n mags
there...  Feel free to keep Cosmo, just PLEASE stick a Petersens Off Road or
Cycle World there too.

> 4.  If someone doesent like their job as a cashier, and is displeased
enough
>     that the customers going through their line notice, they should be
back
>     stocking, etc.  When I'm coming through the line with my $20.18 worth
of
>     stuff, I dont expect them to sit and BS with their friends for 2-3
minutes,
>     smack gum and roll their eyes, not say "hello" or "thank you", etc...
>     If you dont want to bother being friendly, get your bitch ass in the
back
>     and unpack a truck, and get someone friendly up front.

The problem here is that management doesn't care either.  The management in
these places has worked their way up from cashier - and has kept the surly
attitude.  I agree too, get your ass away from the customers - *that* is one
of the reasons I don't go to these discount stores.  I spend a few dollars
more to go to Target, and I've never been mistreated.  That is, of course,
probably diferent by location.  I was in several WalMarts int he midwest
durnig various cross-country trips, and was never treated with anything less
than the utmost respect.  I *really* want to move back to OH...

Kurt