[geeks] and another silly netbsd question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 15 23:47:45 CST 2002

On February 16, James Sharp wrote:
> > > This seems to be a BSDism, but when I install something, it doesn't
> > > register in the shells searches.  I think the shell keeps a static
> > > list of all the things in its $PATH.  might be a csh/tcshism.
> >
> > With *csh shells you must 'rehash'.
>
> and with bash, its 'hash -r'

  Yes but you don't need to do that if you're just adding an
executable whose name didn't already exist elsewhere in the path.  For
example, if /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin in your path, and you
build gnu make and put it in /usr/local/bin/make, it won't override
/usr/bin/make until you type "hash -r"...but if you call it "gmake" or
something else that didn't already exist somewhere, it'll be found
immediately.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire