[geeks] and another silly netbsd question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Feb 15 23:09:54 CST 2002

Boy, for the most part NetBSD seems just like home, but other times...

OK, I'm having an odd problem, see the transcript below my sig.
I do a printenv, and notice the PATH line, /usr/local/bin is clearly in my
path.  The I type python, but it says command not found, even though it is
in /usr/local/bin.  But, if I do /usr/local/bin/python, it works fine.  What
gives here?  Surely I'm missing something.

However, other programs in /usr/local/bin run just fine without me having
to type the full path.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

% printenv
DISPLAY=medea:0.0
TERM=rxvt
LINEMODE=real
HOME=/home/joshua
SHELL=/bin/csh
LOGNAME=joshua
USER=joshua
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin
PWD=/home/joshua
% python
python: Command not found.
% /usr/local/bin/python
Python 2.1 (#2, Feb 15 2002, 22:09:04)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on netbsd1

%