[geeks] Re: PICs (was: Geeky Valentine's day card)

Jon Still jon-pop at tertial.org
Fri Feb 15 11:05:25 CST 2002

On Friday, February 15, 2002, at 04:25 PM, Dave Kimmel wrote:

 > already have a nice PCB and instructions.  Between the parts listed
above
> and the leftovers from the PIC programmer, you should have enough to
> start tinkering.

Just have to find a shop in the UK to get this stuff from.  I know there
is Maplin's (www.maplin.co.uk) but they are generally *expensive*.

> need an RS-232 level converter, like a MAX233), and various other
> things.

Yeah we had to use the MAX233 (and a whole bunch of capacitors) for the
8051/8031 project that I mentioned.  The 8031 we used is just like an
8051 except it has external ROM - meaning we could use EPROM emulators
rather than having to queue for the burner and the UV tube all the
time :)

I've seen something on Maplin called a PICstart kit that looks pretty
good.  I ought to go browse through their (paper) catalogue again and
see what I can get.

Thanks,
Jon.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jrs at tertial.org