[geeks] PowerBook

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Thu Feb 14 11:57:48 CST 2002

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Indeed I thought I had two bad ethernet chips on both Quadras when I ran
> into this problem.  It turns out it was a minor oversight on my part.  My
> original hub was a 100BaseTX only... not a combo hub like I thought.  When

OK, I figured this out. Apparently, MacOS 9.1 (I know nothing about
other releases, this is my first Mac in 15 years) or the PowerBook
itself does not initialize the ethernet link unless you tell it to. I
have to connect the cable, then go into the TCP/IP control panel and
actvate a configuration. I've created two configs, for home and office,
and it works every time, but not until I make the config active.

Anyone know a way in 9.1 to shortcut the process?

Also, is there a way I can add icons to the control strip for ease of
launching? I prefer a clean desktop with few or no icons. I'd like to
get rid of everything and use menus.

Thanks...

---sambo