[geeks] All new hardware must have its sacrifice.

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Feb 14 02:23:57 CST 2002

All new hardware must have its blood sacrifice, and tonight, the SunHELP
D1000 array got its due.

Here's the setup:

http://www.mrbill.net/~mrbill/rack.jpg

This is an old pic.  The old (pre-November) ohno.mrbill.net is the silver 1U
case at the top of the Sun3-style rack with all the E250s in it.  The new
2U ohno.mrbill.net is mounted about level with the second 280R, in the rack
to its right, sitting on a shelf.

The relay rack there (its a telco relay rack) is JUST narrow enough to not
be able to put the A1000 on a shelf below the server.  I found this out by
emptying the D1000 of power supplies and blowers and drives (to make it
lighter), and trying to lift it up onto the shelf which we'd mounted in
the rack.  In the process, I managed to somehow lose my grip, dropping the
D1000 chassis onto the DEC terminal you see there (which is connected to a
Lightwave ConsoleServer 800, not shown in this picture).  The terminal
survived, as did the D1000 - but a minute later, I noticed a good slice
on my right-hand index finger and a smear of blood on the D1000.

We ended up mounting the D1000 on a shelf in the rack to the right
of the one containing the terminal, about level with the server its
connected to.  It had its taste of blood, and is working happily, as far
as I can tell.

(Anybody else remember that Steven King short story about the laundry steam
 press that gets possessed by the Devil?  Computers remind me of that
 sometimes..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford