[geeks] Best ST:TNG episode...

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Thu Feb 14 00:25:45 CST 2002

On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 09:38 , Eric Dittman wrote:

> It was radically different, but I thought it was implausible.

I don't know about that.  After all, deaf-mutes can learn to read lips
and write, yet they do not share our frame of reference.  "A loud bang"
means nothing to them - they can understand it from a philosophical
sense, but not from a common root.

Hellen Keller was an amazing person.  Deaf, dumb, and blind, yet she
still learned to communicate with the rest of us by first learning
symbolic association.  But, how do you explain the concept of the
rainbow to her?  Or even more abstract ideas, like freedom and justice?

I don't see metaphorical communications as being out of the realm of
possibility.  I applaud the writers for thinking in an unconventional
way.

-pete